SADDLEVIEW    PORTINCAPLE.

Updated 1st April 2017.

 

HOME        NEWS       DAYS GONE BY       CONTACT US        PICTURE BOX        PORTINCAPLE RESIDENTS PAGE

Whistlefield Railway Station opened on the 1st May 1896 on the Famous West Highland Line with that fabulous view across Loch Long to the entrance to Loch Goil. The station was closed after 68 years service on 14th June 1964. In its time it was used to transport fish caught in Loch Long and was also used to take Italian and German prisoners of war that were housed at a camp on the Whistlefield hill which is now a car park and view point to work on the construction of the Loch Sloy Dam.

Early Whistlefield Station
webpic1711-3jpg

Picture provided by Eddie Mackinnon Alexandria.

webpic1711-6

The sign below and the chimney stacks are all that remain of the station and are in the care of some local residents.

webpic20702-1

Double header between Garelochhead and Whistlefield making its way to Fort William to commemorate 100 years of the West Highland Railway Line on August 1994

webpic240902-2

return to text